Nov 17, 2009

Polymer Clay On A Budget

Long time, no blog! After being on a bit of a hiatus and moving from the big bad city back to my beloved home town, I am ready to get this blog back on the road, and write about more interesting things. A big thank-you to all the people who left interesting comments on my past entries - it's good to know that I could possibly help you all in your claying endeavors!

Something that I get a lot is, "Isn't polymer clay expensive?". Well, if you live in Canada like I do, yes - it is! Small 2oz bars of Polymer Clay can cost as much as $5.99, depending on where you shop. And after breaking the bank how many times, I have learned to be a bit more frugal when it comes to my clay-buying binges.

Both Canada and the U.S have Michaels (which is a large craftstore chain), but if you don't live in the city or get to one of their stores during a good polymer clay sale, you aren't going to get much of a bargain. My closest Michaels store happens to be about 1 1/2 hours away, so it isn't going to do me much good, at all, by the time I spend the money to get there and back again.

So what is the alternative? Well, consider how you are reading this very blog - the good old internet, of course! There are plenty of sites offering advice on getting the best Polymer Clay deals, but only if you live in the States. So what if you live in Canada? Well - you're in luck. With our Loonie being so strong right now, Americans aren't the only ones getting great deals!

Here is my favourite store for buying polymer clay and other great supplies:


Polymer Clay Express

This online store is my absolute favourite. It is actually run by the folks at a Brick and Mortar store in Maryland, USA, called the ArtWay Store. Being as Maryland is extremely close to the Canadian/U.S Border, shipping times are extremely reasonable and I almost always have my clay within a week. They carry all popular brands of clay such as Fimo, FimoSoft, Premo, Sculpey III, Studio, Kato, Cernit, etc, as well as several Liquid Clays, Air Dry Clays, and all sorts of other Art Supplies and Clay Supplies.

Sculpey III is only $1.50 per 2oz pack and Fimo, FimoSoft, Kato, and Premo are only $1.75 per 2oz pack. Shipping is inexpensive if you only buy enough to fit flat in an envelope - which is usually around $6.00 - larger and heavier shipments can cost more. The good thing about the Shopping Cart is that if you input your Zip/Postal Code, you can get an estimate of how much shipping will be AS you shop. And Canadian Residents, do not fret... just because it is in American dollars, you are still getting a great deal. The Canadian Dollar and U.S Dollar are so close right now that there is only a few cents difference on every dollar.

Polymer Clay Express website: http://polymerclayexpress.com/

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kookie!! I am so glad you are back!! :)
    I love polymerclayexpress.com The other I havent tried yet, but will definitely have a look at it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, the Clay Store is now closed! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I just saw that, too! :( That makes me sad - they were one of my favourite stores!

    ReplyDelete