Jun 14, 2010

Being Nice To Your Hands

If you've worked with polymer clay before, you'll know that it can wreak havoc on your fingers and hands. What with all that dirt, grime, grease, and residue, I am quite sure that you could use a little treat for your digits once in awhile. After all, your hands and fingers are your most prized posessions! Without them, sculpting would be quite difficult. So learn to take care of them, and they'll take care of you... and your clay!

Below, I have listed some awesome all-natural scrubs for your hands. They are gentle enough to use them everytime you are finished claying, too, and they can even be used for your whole body. These can be made for under $10.00 worth of ingredients, and both have been personally tested by me. They both work great!

Brown Sugar & Oatmeal Scrub
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Oatmeal (not instant)
1/4 cup Honey
3/4 cup Sweet Almond Oil (or your favourite Oil)

Mix the brown sugar and oatmeal together in a bowl. Drizzle in the honey, mix, and then add the oil a little at a time. Use enough oil in the scrub that the sugar and oatmeal is saturated but there isn't a large pool of oil left. Then spoon the mixture into a Mason Jar and keep beside your sink.

Sugar & Salt Scrub
1 cup Coarse Sugar
3/4 cup Honey
1 cup Sea Salt
3 mL Sweet Almond Oil (or your favourite Oil)
3 mL Fragrance Oil (Orange & Ylang-Ylang are a good combo)

Mix first three ingredients in a bowl and slowly add in the oils. Use enough oil in the scrub that the sugar and salt are saturated but there isn't a large pool of oil left. Then spoon the mixture into a Mason Jar and keep beside your sink.

3 comments:

  1. Thats a clever idea! I should ask my wife to make me up a batch. No way I'm going in a store and asking for sweet almond oil ;)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I am claying alot, which I hardly ever am anymore, or when I am at work and continually washing my hands or using hand sanitizer, I have found the best way to fix your hand up is to moisturise often, and heavily at night.

    Using any scrub followed by moisturizer will definately fix up your hands after hours of work. Also try mixes of honey, sugar, lemon and baking soda make the perfect scrub that leaves your hands feeling amazing, and it also works wonders on your face too =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ BlacknickSculpture - You could totally use other oils, as well! Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Grapeseed... there are some lovely oils out there. :)

    @Tishdafish - For sure! I totally agree! I should definitely mention a recipe for a good moisturizer, too. And that mix sounds lovely - I'll have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete